Depression : 2.




What are the symptoms of depression?

The following are all symptoms of depression, and if you tick off five or more of any of them you are probably depressed.

My feelings :

•I am low-spirited for much of the time, every day
•I feel restless and agitated
•I get tearful easily
•I feel numb, empty and full of despair
•I feel isolated and unable to relate to other people
•I am unusually irritable or impatient
•I find no pleasure in life or things I usually enjoy
•I feel helpless
•I have lost interest in sex
•I am experiencing a sense of unreality

My behaviour :

•I’m not doing activities I usually enjoy
•I am avoiding social events I usually enjoy
•I have cut myself off from others and can’t ask for help
•I am self-harming
•I find it difficult to speak

My thoughts :

•I am having difficulty remembering things
•I find it hard to concentrate or make decisions
•I blame myself a lot and feel guilty about things
•I have no self-confidence or self-esteem
•I am having a lot of negative thoughts
•The future seems bleak
•What’s the point?
•I have been thinking about suicide

My physical symptoms :

•I have difficulty sleeping
•I am sleeping much more than usual
•I feel tired and have no energy
•I have lost my appetite, and am losing weight
•I am eating a lot more than usual and putting on weight
•I have physical aches and pains with no obvious physical cause
•I am moving very slowly
•I am using more tobacco, alcohol or other drugs than usual

Depression presents itself in many different ways. You may not realise what's going on, because sometimes your problems seem to be physical, rather than mental or emotional. There are also some other mental health problems often linked to depression.

Anxiety :

People who are depressed often have anxiety as well – the two problems often occur together, and each can make the other worse. If you are feeling anxious, your mind may be full of busy, repetitive thoughts, which make it hard to concentrate, relax, or sleep. You may have physical symptoms, such as headaches, aching muscles, sweating and dizziness.

Anxiety may cause physical exhaustion and general ill health. 

It was like I'd fallen into a deep abyss… Even when I tried scrambling up the sides, it was no good, as exhaustion and an overwhelming feeling of nothingness pulled me back down again. I felt like I'd never see the light again...

Psychotic experiences :

If you are severely depressed you may start to have experiences or thoughts that others around you do not share. For example, you may hear voices, see visions, believe that you are evil, or are influencing events in a way that is harmful to others. You may believe that you are a bad person and you deserve to feel as you do. These are false beliefs and may be part of the depression.
Suicidal thoughts :

You may feel that life is not worth living and start thinking about ways of killing yourself. Thoughts like these may seem difficult to control and be very frightening. 
Depression is like Hell on Earth, it's dark, lonely and very selfish. The feeling of not wanting to live (but not wanting to die)… I can't get going and feel like I can't do anything… One thing about suffering from depression is that it's made me a better, stronger person.


Continues...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beware of Spiritual Gods ( Human ) : Part -4.

1.#Opinion : Thursday, 14 Dec 2023. 05:30. 3363// 1#On Reason and Higher Life - 1.Swami Krishnananda.///

THE SACRED - THE SECULAR : - 2.